Welcome to my A2 media blog

Welcome to my A2 media blog.
My name is Gavin Fraser (0245). I am part of Group 1 along with Alice Cahill (0130), Kayvon Nabijou (0610) and Mahalia John (0345).

You can navigate my blog using the right hand side column where you will find:
Some information about me
My post labels including 'A2 Production', 'A2 Prelim' and 'A2 Research and Planning'
A live link to The Latymer School Music Video Blog
The blog archive of all my posts

Thank you for taking the time to look at my blog.

Music Video



Digipak

Digipak
Album Digipak // Top-left to bottom-right: inside back, inside front, back cover, front cover

Website

Click Image to open Pilgrim's website in a new tab

Thursday 11 September 2014

Inspirational Media

Music Videos


I like the style of this music video, particularly from 3:30. The slow motion shots with all the colour are really cool and my idea for a video does something similar. It is set in a studio with the band performing and there is a loose narrative throughout the video with the riot police. Again, this is similar to what I want to have in my video.



I like this video because of its simple style. I want to emulate the slow motion shots in my video. I also like the fact that the camera movement is simple and smooth, giving the video a nice flow overall. My favourite thing about the video is how they have synched up the singing in slow motion. I want to do this too.



I'm planning on setting my video in a studio like this. There is also a small intro to the video before the music starts to introduce the narrative. This is something that I am considering having in mine.



I like how this video jump cuts to the beat of the song. I want to do this too. I also may want to incorporate some typography similar to what this video does.



This video is good because it is all done in one take and it's shot in slow-motion. I like the very simple narrative and the fact that you have time to take everything in as it's all revealed slowly. I'll try and emulate this slow build-up in my video.



The main thing I like about this video is the grading. I'm considering having the first half of my video in black and white. Also I like how high the contrast is compared to the black and white shot in 'girls'.



This video has a similar narrative to what I want to do but is shot very differently. I like how colourful it is.



I like how simple this video is. There's no narrative but the way it's shot is quite interesting and I like how it focusses on simple things like their instruments, clothes and expressions. The first half of my video will hopefully be similar to this in places.



I like the use of black and white to give a sophisticated look. I especially like the contrast of the jumping shots after roughly 4:00. The video is visually very easy on the eye but also interesting in places, especially with the smoke and the water.




I really like this video because it's visually similar to the official video above but it also has the words and graphics as well as the gold. I'm considering grading the shots to be mostly desaturated apart from certain colours like in this video.




I really like this video because of how it uses all the different colours, shapes and textures. This is beyond what I would be able to achieve but I am considering doing something fairly similar using green screens.




This video isn't that similar to what I want to do but I think it needs to be mentioned because I love its style and it will probably subtly influence how my final video looks. I really like how they mess around with the widescreen bars and how shots are juxtapositioned together. I also love how vibrant all the colours are.


Other Media


This is very similar to the Animal Collective video but simpler and closer to what I would end up making if I were to attempt this. I like the small details such as the shadows, the headphones and the shoes.




My music video may include shots similar to these but in slow motion.


Other Inspirational Music Videos

  • Radiohead - 'Lotus Flower' : I like the use of black and white and the simple editing, camera shots and narrative.
  • Vampire Weekend - 'Cousins' : The simple idea is done effectively and the video is exciting and colourful.
  • Blur - 'Coffee and TV' : This isn't too relevant to my video but it's always been one of my favourite music videos because of its charming narrative.
  • Coldplay - 'The Scientist' : This video is a classic because of how cleverly it was filmed. I like it because it tells a story in a really interesting way and I also like the fact that Chris Martin learned all the lines backwards for the video.
  • Foals - 'Spanish Sahara' : This video is very simple and how a limited colour palette to match the sombre mood of the song. As the song builds, the narrative is slowly revealed and the fires add a bit of energy to the video.
  • Jay Z and Kanye West - 'Ni**as In Paris' : I like this video because it is visually very interesting. I love the use of symmetry and the flashing lights give it energy. In particular, I love the shot where Kanye looks out over the crowd as the screen pumps around him and patterns appear (2:49).
  • LCD Soundsystem - 'Home' : I like this video because the narrative is simple but still enjoyable to watch. I also like all the different settings that the robot finds itself in as it makes the video quite pleasing in terms of visuals.
  • Arctic Monkeys - 'Cornerstone' : I like this video because it is extremely simple. It's pretty different to how I want my video to look but it's a nice reminder that a video doesn't have to be complex to be good.
  • The Black Keys - 'Lonely Boy' : Again, this video is a good example of how something simple can still be interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment